Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Santorini Island

Above: Santorini spelt out in Greek. Below: the four of us girls that went to the Island.


On May 15th Britney, Jillian, Annie and myself set out for the Greek Island of Santorini [where Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was filmed]. We left Thursday afternoon so we could take the train to Athens and catch our 5:30 am flight [ugh] on Friday morning. We arrived in Santorini while the sun was rising, it was so beautiful.

We took a taxi from the airport to Perissa [the area we stayed in]. Our hostel was right on the beach, it was beautiful.



These pictures were taken from the roof of our hostel .



So we put on our suits and headed to the beach to lay out in the sun and get a good tan.
Above: is Perissa Beach [where we stayed] Below: The 'rough' life I lived on the island :)



We took a break so we could grab something to eat. We ate at the restaurant that our hostel ran and we got to meet the manager and some of the other staff. They were really nice and they helped us out a lot. They told us how to go about renting a car and the manager, Vagelis, took us around to show us a couple of popular places and to use the internet. He’s a really great guy. He is a professional volleyball player in Athens and works on the Island in the summer. We were supposed to play volleyball of Sunday with him but the weather wasn’t good for it. On Friday night we went to a little beach bar down the road and had fresh fruit drinks and met a couple of Americans that were touring Europe for 5 weeks. We exchanged stories about where we’ve been and gave them some pointers.

Saturday we decided to rent a jeep so that we could tour the island, because its small enough to tour in a day. So we picked up the car and headed out to explore the island.





Our first stop was Red Beach. Santorini has a Volcano on the Island and the beaches are different colors. Most of the ‘sand’ is black and the rocks surrounding this beach were red. It was beautiful.

You can see how clean the water is, its amazing.


Next stop was the lighthouse on the island. [Mom you’ll have to come here now ;), I’ll come too don’t worry] There were amazing views from all the places we stopped but this was great. We climbed around the rocks for a while but we decided to get going before Britney got too daring, we thought she was going to fall so many times =).

Below if you look closely you can see Britney on the left, kind of looking over the edge, and I'm about in the middle on the little point, looking out at the beautiful sea.



Then we were off to the top of the mountain, the highest point on the Island. Unfortunately we had to follow a cement truck up the mountain; we were in a manual, NOT FUN! But the view was worth the wait. You could see the ENTIRE Island from here. This is a picture of the area near the port.



Next stop was Fira, the main ‘city’ on the Island. Here we stopped and shopped around for a bit. There were a lot of cool things and many amazing buildings. This one was my FAVORITE!







It was getting pretty late in the day and we needed to get to Oia [Ia] to watch the sunset. On the way we saw this cute little donkey,



and a hill of windmills [beautiful]



We stopped at the beach near Ia.





Oia is the place I want to stay when I come back. It is AMAZING. White houses and blue doors EVERYWHERE.





When we got there, there were so many people around waiting for the sun to set. So we walked through the ‘city’ and headed towards to edge of the Island to check out the sunset. We saw a lot of boats, cute houses, a couple churches, even a Bride [lucky girl]. The sunset was pretty amazing.



So many people were there watching the sunset.









There were a lot of clouds during the day so it was as cool as some but it was still unbelievable. After the sunset we headed back to Perissa and went to bed after our long day.


Sunday was really windy and cloudy so we wondered around to different shops and went to see what was around Perissa. We found a cool church and some neat little resorts.




When the sun finally did come out we went and laid out but it was too cold to go swimming. It was the other three girls' last night in Santorini [I left on Tuesday], so we went to another Beach Bar to hang out for a bit. We took some pictures by the Sea because the waves were rolling in, it was really cool.

Monday we laid out and went swimming for a bit before Annie and Britney had to leave. After they left Jill and I went to look for some things Jill still wanted. Her flight was at 8 so around 6 we headed out, I was going to try and change my ticket so I could just go back with them but I couldn’t do it without paying for a new ticket so I just stayed and left on Tuesday morning. Below is at picture of us girls with Vagelis, Europeans dont like to smile in pictures and I haven't figured out why...




All in all Santorini was phenomenal! I really want to go back and visit someday. It was so relaxing and I just loved it!


I hope you enjoyed the pictures. I only have two weeks left in Greece; I can’t believe the time has flown by so fast! I’ve had a wonderful time, and again I thank everyone of you who has read my blog and taken interest in my life abroad and helped me with my travels, I’m very thankful. Many of my dreams have come true on this trip/adventure.
Thanks again.
xoxo

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures Sarah.. have a safe trip home..see ya soon.. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete